Below you will find the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.
What is stonewool?
Stone wool is a mineral wool made from sustainably sourced basalt rock. Stone wool consists of 5% solid material in the form of stone fibres and the remaining 95% is made up of pores.
How is stone wool made?
The raw stone material is superheated to almost 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit. The molten rock is injected with air and spun into a fibrous, a process often compared to cotton candy being made at a fair.. The material is then treated with a hydrophilic binder to facilitate liquid absorption, which ensures even distribution of water and nutrients upon use.
The stone wool is then cut into various sizes and shapes—from starter plugs to larger Gro-blocks and slabs - each specifically designed for different stages of crop production. Finally, the finished products are wrapped in a special film that blocks UV light and limits the growth of algae on the substrate surface.
What size plugs, cubes, blocks, and/or slabs should I use?
Grodan has devloped a variety of stone wool products that can be used individually or as part of a complete indoor cultivation system that optimizes efficient growth with minimal inputs throughout the plant life cycle. There are options for hydroponic systems as well as growing in containers.
Precision Growing is the most efficient and effective form of growing focused on using minimum input materials to generate maximum output. Growing costs decrease, crop yield and quality increase, and best of all, this form of growing contributes to sustainable horticulture.
Grodan enables Precision Growing with the combination of stone wool growing media, innovative growing tools, and technical crop advice.